Home news Revealed: First designs of what could stand on Amex's wedding cake site

Revealed: First designs of what could stand on Amex's wedding cake site

21
0

Show caption

() View gallery

A VICTORIAN street may reappear for the first time in more than 40 years after the demolition of a landmark building.

Developers who bought the land on which the headquarters of American Express stood, in Edward Street, Brighton, have shared exclusively with The Argus the initial sketches of their vision for the huge site.

Rather than replacing the monolithic “Wedding Cake” structure with another of similar size and scale, they intend to build a series of buildings with streets and green spaces between them.

This will mean the recreation of Mighell Street, an early 19th street which used to run from Carlton Hill down to Edward Street but which disappeared under the footprint of the Amex headquarters when it was built in the 1970s.

The plans from London developer First Base show its intention that the land be turned into a series of blocks, expected to be roughly equivalent in height to the building which formerly stood on the site.

All the blocks would have commercial units on the ground floor and above would be a mixture of residential and commercial use.

Present plans anticipate anywhere between 150,000 and 200,000sqft of office space and between 150 and 200 homes.

First Base and co-owners Patron Capital will host a second round of community consultations tomorrow and November 11 after a well-attended drop-in session last month.

The sessions will take place at the University of Brighton, Grand Parade, tomorrow from 4pm to 8pm and at Millwood Community Centre, Nelson Row, on Saturday, November 11, from 10am to 1pm.

People will have an opportunity to meet the architects and landscape designers working on the site to understand how the plans are being developed.

Lucinda Mitchell, project director at First Base, said: “We are grateful to the residents, community groups and businesses who came to the first consultation event, we have listened and taken on board what residents would like to see for the future.

“From the feedback we received, over three quarters of residents and local stakeholders were in favour of the site bringing forward new homes and workspace.

“We welcome residents to come along to get an update on the emerging plans.”

The developers have had two pre-application meetings with Brighton and Hove City Council and said they had a strong track record of delivering affordable homes.

A spokeswoman said the firm would be happy to have an “open book” agreement, sharing profit projections with the council.


Source: The Argus