OLLY Murs has spoken of his sorrow over the Manchester Arena terror attack but said music fans have shown defiance by continuing to attend gigs.
Speaking exclusively to The Argus before a show at the 1st Central County Ground in Hove on Sunday, the former X Factor star also praised security teams for their response since the tragedy in which 23 people were killed.
Murs had performed at the venue two months before Salman Ramadan Adedi detonated a bomb at Ariana Grande’s concert on May 22.
Murs said: “It’s a tough time for everyone and it can be difficult for mums and dads to bring their kids to a show in these circumstances.
“But I’ve definitely seen a lot of fight from everyone attending gigs which shows that we won’t let it affect us going forward.
“All of my gigs since then [the attack] have been safe, touch wood.”
There has been increased scrutiny on high-profile arena or stadium concerts since May, with extra security drafted in to make sure such events are as secure as possible.
The Brighton Centre was one venue to take this precaution as the threat level in the UK was raised to critical in the wake of the Manchester attack.
Murs said: “I’ve always recognised staff and emergency services at my shows and I thank them for making everyone feel comfortable.
“I just want everyone to be safe, as do all artists, as did Ariana.”
The 33-year-old added that the terrorist incident was “such a difficult thing to see and watch”.
“It was really tragic. It hurt not just me but every artist who has played that arena. It could have been any one of us.
“It’s difficult to talk about it because it’s such a tragic thing.”
Last year Murs released 24 Hrs, his fourth consecutive album to reach number one in the charts since he finished runner-up to Joe McElderry in season six of The X Factor.
lFor more information and tickets on Olly Murs’ concert, visit ticketmaster.co.uk. See The Guide on Friday for a full interview.
Source: The Argus