Home news City’s biggest raffle is drawn tomorrow

City’s biggest raffle is drawn tomorrow

24
0

Famous faces have backed the campaign including Eddie Izzard

THE biggest raffle in the history of Brighton and Hove will be drawn tomorrow.

A scenic plane flight is among more than 600 prizes available in the £1-per-ticket raffle in aid of the Save Madeira Terrace campaign.

Among the other prizes up for grabs include a two-night stay in the Old Ship Hotel, £100 off dinner at luxury seafood restaurant Riddle and Finns and free massages.

Ticket sales have been going well but there is still time to enter the draw.

You can buy them at more than 40 pubs, restaurants and other venues around Brighton and Hove.

You can also buy them online by going to the PayPal account of organiser Jax Atkins, using her email address chemicaljax@ntlworld.com.

Include your phone number in the “details” field of the payment so you can be contacted if you win.

The raffle will be drawn tomorrow at The Cricketers pub in Black Lion Street, Brighton, at 5pm.

Ms Atkins said: “Initially I said we’d have hundreds of prizes but I thought, ‘goodness that means we need at least 200’.

“But we’re over 600 and people are still emailing me. It’s absolutely brilliant.”

All money raised will go towards the Save Madeira Terrace campaign.

The campaign, which aims to raise £422,985, had last night reached £363,251.

The deadline to reach the target is November 30.

The full cost of restoration of the terraces is estimated at around £24 million but this public outreach campaign is intended to show there is public support for the project. It is thought it will strengthen the council’s hand when appealing for national funding.

Later in the year, Brighton and Hove City council will go to the Heritage Lottery Fund to ask for a funding bid of £4 million and will need to demonstrate there is strong public support.

The council failed in a bid earlier in the year to gain funding for the project from the Coastal Communities Fund.

That decision led to an accusation from city council leader Warren Morgan that the Government was “failing to invest in our seafront heritage and tourism”.


Source: The Argus