() View gallery
ANTIQUES were salvaged after a fire took hold of a house.
A fire ravaged the loft space of a house in Cowfold Road, Brighton, around 11.04am.
The semi-detached house had caught fire while the homeowner was out.
Neighbour Sarah Gale, 52, said: “It was about 11 o’clock and I looked out the window and saw smoke coming out the house.
“So we shot over there and banged on doors to get the neighbours out and call the fire brigade.
Incident commander Alex Probyn said: “It was a well developed fire in the loft space.
“There was a lot of damage to to the loft including some of the roof joints and tiles.
“The fire was well contained to the loft, but smoke has spread through small gaps between the houses.
“We are now trying to salvage items from the house.
“It’s not your typical house, there were lots of antiques in there.”
An electrical fault is suspected to be the cause of the fire.
Source: The Argus